Mission & Vision
TYFA empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities, to develop supportive environments in which gender may be expressed and respected.
We work to create a society free of suicide and violence in which ALL children are respected and celebrated. Specifically, TransYouth Family Allies will work to:
- Educate and inform schools, healthcare professionals, daycare centers, courts and legal representatives, child welfare agencies and communities about discrimination on the basis of gender identity or gender expression.
- Eliminate harassment, oppression, and violence motivated by ignorance, fear, and hatred of transgender children and youth.
- Work to inform citizens, including legislators about advances in medical science and current standards of care with regard to the legal status of transgendered and gender variant children.
- Work to form alliances with organizations and individuals to help achieve support services for the transgender and gender variant children of America, so that they and their families may find the services and support that they need to live their lives free of harassment and obstruction.
In carrying out its mission, TransYouth Family Allies is guided by the following principles:
- All children, regardless of individual socioeconomic conditions, age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, family status or military status should have an opportunity to be represented by our organization.
- The interests and concerns of all transgender and gender variant children are valuable and should be heard and fairly represented. This includes all classes, subgroups, and minorities.
- Mutual benefit can be achieved by working with other organizations in the pursuit of civil and human rights for transgender and gender variant children.